STATE INTEREST RATES AND USURY LIMITS:
• Maximum General Rate: 6%. Md. Code Ann., Com. Law § 12-102 (West, WESTLAW through end of 2003 Reg. Sess.)
• Judgment Rate: 10% on the amount of judgment; 6% on a money judgment for rent
• Age of Majority: 18
DEBT RESPONSIBILITY: DOCTRINE OF NECESSARIES
•Neither the husband or the wife is liable for necessaries of each other.
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS FOR CIVIL ACTIONS:
• Contracts: 3 year limitation
• Action of Specialties: 12 year limitation
MEDICAL AND HOSPITAL BILLING:
• Each hospital must submit to the Commission the hospital’s policy on patient debt collection. MD Code, Health-General, § 19-214.2 (West, WESTLAW through June 1, 2009)
This information is not to be construed as legal advice. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. Although we attempt to provide up-to-date information, laws and regulations often change. We make no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy or completeness of this document. For legal advice please contact an attorney.